Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Book Review - "Heaven Is For Real"



I decided that I'd use this spot to review some of the books that I've been reading lately. I'd love your feedback.

The very first book I'll review is a quick little read called "Heaven Is For Real." I read this in one sitting - about 2 1/2 hours worth. It's a true story that will make you sit back and go "Hmmm."

The author, Todd Burpo, (yes that's his real name, I didn't make that up) is (was?) a Pastor in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. At the culmination of a year's worth of hard times for he and his family, his almost four year old son, Colton, became very sick and was misdiagnosed with the flu. In fact, he had appendicitis, and by the time it was discovered, his appendix had burst and his chances of survival were slim.

The book tells the story of what Colton shared with his parents after he was released from hospital. I'm usually highly skeptical of the stories of "near-death" experiences, but this book has the distinct ring of truth to it. I found myself unable to put it down.

As a pastor myself, I automatically find myself looking for areas which contradict Scripture. I didn't find any of those with this book. It passed my "sniff test" for authenticity. I liked it so much that I found myself recommending the book to 3-4 people the very next day - especially for those who have recently experienced the loss of a loved one.

Is there a heaven? What is heaven like? These are questions that almost everyone has asked, or will ask, at some point in time. Read about heaven through the eyes of a little boy who has nothing to hide and nothing to gain from misleading you. I highly recommend this book.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This book has had a significant impact on my life. It is totally believable, with the ring of truth on every page. I was raised in a "fundamental, Bible-believing" churh, and often heard the words, "....but God doesn't speak to us in this way any more." Well, it is my belief that God is God, and He speaks in whatever manner He chooses. It seems that He has chosen to "speak" through little Colton - maybe because, as a little child, Colton has no agenda. He's just a kid who spoke what he experienced. An amazing book.

Gerry Noordegraaf said...

I just read this book as well (a borrowed copy) and have ordered 10 copies to give away - I loved it.

Majialei said...

I have just read the book recently and I thought it was very encouraging. I thought how he approached these things his son was saying very wisely. He didn't lead him on, he asked questions and tested scripture with it. Yet I have since gone online to see what other people thought of it and found a lot of controversy surrounding the book. A lot of people rave about it, some despise it as all lies, and site what they claim are discrepancies. One site wrote a whole list of things that she saw were contradictory to scripture: http://momsinneedofmercy.blogspot.ca/2011/03/heaven-is-for-real-astounding-tale-of.html I have also seen arguments about how Colton pointed to his palm to show where Jesus' Markers were and not to his wrists where we know historically they would have placed the nails. I would be interested to know what you think in regards to these arguments. Another website I read, http://thebereanlibrary.com/archives/1802, had quite a depressing/bitter take on the book and the comments section held a quite vehement argument about the book's validity. What do you think?

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post. I read the first blog you spoke of, and I share the author's concern with the extra-Biblical material in the book. However, "Heaven is for Real" was not written as a theological treatise about heaven. It's about a child's recollection of what happened to him, whether a physical experience or a vision. I would tend to give a little more grace here and not assume any malicious intent on the part of the pastor and his son. I don't find it contradictory to Scripture, as, often, we are given a glimpse of heaven at a specific time. I tend to agree with one of the commenters who quoted Paul: "Now we see but a poor reflection, as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." I also agree with part of what the author said. Scripture is the final authority, and wherever someone contradicts Scripture, the error is on the side of the individual, not God's Word. However, sometimes God's Word is descriptive - not prescriptive. In other words, there are times when Scripture speaks of an event in descriptive terms and not saying that this is how it is and always will be. Sometimes we can over-analyze things. I believe that this is not a Biblical commentary, but a description of a real event in a child's life - perhaps with errors of memory or transmission.